Want To Know Some RealTALK?
- THE CDC estimates that half of all new STD cases are reportedly 15- to 24-year-olds.
- 1 in 4 sexually active adolescent females have an STD
- The World Health Organization defines a city with an HIV epidemic as any city with more than 1% of its population living with HIV.
- According to DC’s Department of Health, 2.5% of the DC population in 2013 living with HIV
These are just a few of the statistics that have prompted us to focus on the future and fostering a HIV-free generation.
Who Are We?
To put it simply, we keep it REAL. We are REAL teens and young adults between the ages of 13 and 24 giving the REAL facts and knowing the REAL stats surrounding safer sex in the District.
What Do We Do?
We link our peers to sexual health information and access to FREE condoms and HIV/STI testing. Our home base is the FreeStyle Center, located at 651 Pennsylvania Ave, SE. Open from 3:30-8pm Monday through Friday, anyone at the Center can ask a Peer Representative or Ambassador to direct them to our FREE and confidential testing facility. The Freestyle Center provide a safe space for YOU to be YOU, with fun projects and events that foster a comfortable setting to have REAL conversations about REAL sex concerns like
- Movie Nights,
- Arts and Crafts,
- Game Night,
- Can’t Sing Karaoke,
- Floetic Friday,
- and more!
How Do We Do It?
At RealTALK we believe in reaching you where you are: online, on your phone, in your neighborhood, and at your events.
- Online: We can be found on popular social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- On Your Phone: Simply text “REALTALK” to 61827 to receive blasts about upcoming events, facility testing hours, and sexual health information.
- In Your Neighborhood: A REALtalk Rep can found in a different DC neighborhood almost daily, providing Condom Outreach by distributing safer sex kits and telling anyone interested where they can go for FREE testing. During the summer months, we bring the testing to you, parking our mobile testing unit in a neighborhood and hosting testing there, frequently offering incentives for the youth and young adults who get tested.
- At Your Events: Request a representative and/or the testing van at your upcoming event to provide safer sex education, condom distribution, free testing and HIV/STI 101 sessions.
Want to Participate?
If you’re 13 to 24 years old and interested in volunteering with REALtalk, come to our monthly orientation/volunteer intake meeting held every second and fourth Tuesday at the FreeStyle Center. As a volunteer, you get the opportunity to gain:
- Job Development Skills
- Community Service Hours
- Court Ordered Community Service Hours
- Incentives (Metro Cards, Gift Cards, Electronics, Etc.)
- Access to Free Condoms
- Access to RealTalkDC Concerts & Events
- Private and Free HIV/STI and Pregnancy Testing